Friday, July 19, 2013

Fun Resources for All Ages

These resources are some that I will carry with me from kindergarten to second grade.  Some I wish I had when  I taught fifth grade.

Note that formatting may be off on the preview.  Once the document is downloaded, the formatting corrects itself and is able to be edited if you like.

The Napping House Power Point
This power point animates the story of the napping house.  Use this as a retelling tool.  Have the students recall the sequencing of the story using the power point.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4g3mi1fmochy0oh/The%20Napping%20House%20Sequencing.pptx



Friends Anchor Chart

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3jk9115fgb0lv5/Friends%20Anchor%20Chart.docx


3-2-1 Exit Slip:  This is a simple way to recap a lesson.  Each student writes 3 things they learned, 2 questions they still have, and one opinion about the topic/lesson.  It shows high/low points of the lesson and allows the students and teacher to continue the lesson as needed. (The teacher responds to the students' 2 questions.)




Dr. Seuss' Party Invitation: Dr. Seuss was born March 2, 1904.




Egg Drop Results:  Each year, our school holds an Egg Drop Competition.  Students build "egg containers" at home with their parents.  They put a raw egg into a ziploc bag (keeps the sidewalk from getting eggy) and the bag into their protective container.  The containers are brought to school, dropped one by one OFF THE ROOF, and opened to see if the egg survived.  It's a big deal!  And Super FUN!
*Be sure to change the bottom of the certificates to your school.







My Mother:  Describing Mom is like being on an episode of Kids Say the Darnedest Things.  I look forward to it all year.




Sketch. Label.  Write.: One of my favorite post-reading activities.  After the students read a passage, have them sketch a main idea from the reading.  Then have them label important details from the text that are in the picture.  Finally, have the students write a 1-2 sentence summary of the reading.  If the reading is long, assign different paragraphs to different students.  This also lends well to group work.  If the class will be studying the topic after the reading, group the students.  Assign 1-2 paragraphs per group.  Have the group create Sketch, Label, Write posters.  Hang the posters in the room and use them as references in later lessons!




Summarizing:  Main Idea, I Wonder, I'll Never Forget... This one was acting a little funny when I was linking it, but looked fine when I downloaded it.  I hope it works.




Stop or Go Cards: I've got it!  I need help!  Print on different colored paper so it's easy to see from across the room.  When students are working, they can have their stop or go cards on their desk.  If they have no questions, they keep their card on "I've got it."  If they have a question, they flip their card to "I need help!" and skip the problem until you can get to them.




What Am I? Power Points  I created these for my kindergartners.  The vocabulary is simple and appropriate for k-2.  They can easily be adapted to give different clues for different answers... As I'm typing this, I am brain storming ways I can make this into a vocabulary lesson... Give the definition, picture, synonym, antonym... You can make them whatever fits your needs!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment